Strawberries and Cardamom Cashew Cream with Mint and Pistachios
During a recent trip to London, I happened to eat in this beautiful Notting Hill restaurant called Farmacy. The menu was very interesting and I opted to order an omelette along with a fruit and house-made vegan yogurt parfait. I knew that a parfait would not fill me up, but was happily surprised to fall in love with the small pot of goodness that I was served. The yogurt itself was laced with spirulina and was thus endowed with a bright blue hue, but something else about the flavor and texture was oddly familiar. I couldn't quite place it so asked the server how the yogurt was created. I was mildly horrified to find out that the "yogurt" was essentially pure cashew cream, which was highly caloric in the amount that I had just consumed as a breakfast appetizer! Nevertheless, it was delicious and I have been dreaming about what creations I could invent using cashew cream ever since I returned to the states. This bright and summery dessert plays on the traditional favorite of strawberries and cream but in a vegan friendly twist. The cashew cream is sweetened with a hint of honey and a pinch of my favorite spice, cardamom. Pistachios add a satisfying crunch and the mint forces this dish into the summer season.
· 2 cups Strawberries, sliced
· ¼ cup finely chopped pistachios
· 2 tablespoons chopped Mint
For the Cashew Cream
· 1 cup raw, unsalted Cashews
· 1 tablespoon Raw Honey (can substitute agave nectar)
· 1/3rd cup coconut water
· 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
· ½ teaspoon teaspoon Ground Cardamom
· Pinch of salt
1. To make the cashew Cream: Cover one cup of raw cashews with three cups of water in a mason jar or bowl and allow to soak for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain the cashews and then blend on high with ¼ cup coconut water and a pinch of salt until smooth in consistency.
3. Add the honey, vanilla, and cardamom to the blender mix until combined.
4. Spoon the cream into a dish or bowl and pile high with strawberries. Top with pistachios, mint and an extra drizzle of honey if desired.